Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fridays at the Farm

A few years ago, sometime between frightening college dining hall food and the slightly less frightening meals I later fed myself in my own kitchen; I started to really become aware of the food I was eating for the first time. Not that I hadn’t noticed and enjoyed my mom’s famous fajitas, a good burger and fries or my favorite mint chocolate chunk ice cream before. But I started wondering, where did the food I was eating come from? Was it harvested nearby or did it travel to my grocery store from Mexico? Some of it seemed so foreign to what I had seen grown in the ground, that I had to wonder if any of its components had been grown at all. And what difference did that make exactly?
I wasn't alone. Richard Hoffman’s short documentary, Fridays at the Farm, is an insightful snapshot of his journey to answer some of those same questions. I was lucky to see the film for the first time last week, when Richard joined some of our Greener Partners team at a town meeting to discuss plans for our newest venture: a community farm at Skunk Hollow in Radnor. The connection was clear; Fridays at the Farm speaks eloquently to the questions that many of us ask about the food we eat, and, more importantly, inspires us to get involved in the process.
You can see a short clip of the film below. You may recognize the farmer as our own Amy Johnson, who began asking herself these same questions and making her own answers long before I did.



To learn more about Fridays at the Farm, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment